Can I Travel with my Kids?


Do I need a Travel Consent?

If you are planning a vacation out of the country with the children, then you will likely need a Travel Consent.  A Travel Consent is a document that gives you permission to take children out of the country without their other parent(s).  Travel Consents usually include details of your vacation, such as your destination, when you will be leaving, when you will be returning, and where you will be staying while you are out of the country.  A Travel Consent should be signed by your ex and notarized by a lawyer or notary public.

Even if you have sole custody of your children, you may still be required to show border officials documentation proving that you have permission from the other parent to travel with the children.  Even if you and your spouse are still together, you should still have a Travel Consent if only one parent is travelling with the children. 

Border authorities should ask for a Travel Consent whenever they see a child travelling with only one parent (or with someone who is not their parent, such as a grandparent, aunt, or uncle).  If you do not have a Travel Consent, then you could be prevented from leaving the country with your children. In order to prevent any issues at the airport or the border, you should ensure that you obtain a Travel Consent when making your travel plans.  If you have any questions and wish to schedule a free consultation with one of our lawyers to discuss your family law matter, please feel free to contact us. We would be happy to help.